Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Karen O

Here's a confession: I really like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. No, I reeeeally like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I might just love them. Karen O especially. So I was quite tickled to find a recent interview with Karen O online:


What I love about Karen O is her seemingly complete lack of irony. She actually loves those crazy outfits she puts on. It's so simple and endearing, something somehow violent and vicious about the things she does, and I really like that.

A tidbit I thought was funny:


How did you celebrate your 21st birthday?

I had a party in my apartment on Tompkins Square Park in the East Village. I had just moved in, and had somehow convinced the owner of the building that I was a really reserved and responsible young lady. But all my friends came and everyone was super wasted and hanging off the fire escape. And the landlord came up and was just like, "Oh my god, I just made the biggest mistake of my life letting this girl live here."


At the end she talks about her favorite socks, and I really connected with something so trivial. Nobody really does that anymore; it seems so infantile. Yet she's not too cool to talk about ladybug socks, and that's pretty damn fantastic.


Also, I recently listened to "It's Blitz!" and thought it was superb. Definitely better than their sophomore attempt. My favorite? "Dull Life," which I believe is track 5, showing a more intense and intellectual side of YYY. Strange that the CD rarely, if ever, used guitars, but it's perhaps a welcome change. Go New Yorkey art rockers, go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like that 21 birthday bit. almost want to be there at the party just to see the landlord come in.